Monday, January 02, 2017
GOP points the finger at Obama’s real legacy: a $19.9 trillion national debt
By Jennifer Harper
$19.9 TRILLION LEGACY
The Republican National Committee has assembled some telling numbers as President Obama prepares to leave office and do other things.
“Obama touts his legacy, but the numbers tell a different story,” the committee notes in a lengthy analysis of hard data, all current and gleaned primarily from federal sources.
Here’s a sampling from the RNC:
• $19.9 trillion: “The staggering mountain of debt Obama will leave behind on January 20, 2017.” Source: Treasury Department.
• $9.2 trillion: “The increase in the national debt since Obama took office.” Source: Treasury Department.
• $1 trillion: “Tax increases in Obamacare over a decade.” Source: House Committee on Ways and Means.
• $870.3 billion: “Estimated economic cost of new federal government regulations finalized since Obama took office.” Source: American Action Forum.
• $750 billion: “Americans global trade deficit in 2015 under Obama.” Source: U.S. Census Bureau.
• $690 billion: “Increase in student debt since Obama took office.” Source: Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis